Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Japanese Toilet Update

Remember how much I raved about the washroom at Narita airport? I still hold fond memories of that bathroom stall.

MSNBC has an article today about this fave topic of mine.

Japanese toilets. How I love ‘em.

“Japanese toilets can warm and wash one's bottom, whisk away odors with built-in fans and play water noises that drown out potty sounds. They play relaxation music, too. "Ave Maria" is a favorite.

“High-end toilets can also sense when someone enters or leaves the bathroom, raising or lowering their lids accordingly. Many models have a "learning mode," which allows them to memorize the lavatory schedules of household members.”

How I love the Japanese.

Here’s a weird fact: 23 to 30 percent of Japanese men now sit while urinating. They do so, the report said, for comfort and for "prevention of urine splash."

Japanese women urinate eight times a day, with an average on-seat time of 96 seconds.

On-seat time. Yo, what’s your on-seat time? I love this statistic.

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

seat time?
they don't call it "the reading room" for nuffin

Anonymous said...

Seat time? Gosh, I'll get out a stopwatch next time I'm having a pee!!!!