Tuesday, March 18, 2008

You can call me a blind dumb ass

but it is only half an hour ago that I saw there is a lovely quote about the arts on our $20 bill.

I blame this on the fact that it is in 2-point font, and at 47 the old eyes aren't what they used to be.

But, seriously, did everyone but me know there's a quote from Gabrielle Roy on the $20? Knowing how much I cherish my $$$ you'd think I'd be looking at it more closely.

It says:

Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes sans les arts? / Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?

That's nice.

The $5 has a quote from Roch Carrier about winter and skating rinks. I dunno what's on the $10 because I don't currently have one in my wallet. And the $100? Don't ask me. Really. Don't bother.

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

gaby's question isn't one we get asked much out here, alas

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You got no cultcha out there.

gsdgsd13 said...

I'm hoping at least one of the bills has a quote from Mats Naslund.

cityofmushrooms said...

or don cherry

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Gump Worsley or Johnny Bower. Now those guys belong on our money.

Either that of one of those naked Bobby Orr paintings I heard about somewhere. My mind's wandering now...

cityofmushrooms said...

bobby we hardly knew ye

also the weakerthans have a song about gump worsley (of whom mushrooms jr is a big fan)