Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lies, All Lies

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read in my life. From yesterday's NY Times:

"Based on national averages, a 40-year-old woman should be able to do 16 push-ups and a man the same age should be able to do 27. By the age of 60, those numbers drop to 17 for men and 6 for women. Those numbers are just slightly less than what is required of Army soldiers who are subjected to regular push-up tests."

"National averages" are "just slightly less" than what the Army requires? In what alien land of fitness is this?

I was discussing this with a friend who is 52 and by my standards, she is insanely, ridiculously fit. She said she can do 6 push-ups, which puts her in the category of a 60-year-old woman in the NY Times' crazy la-la land.

These are real push-ups, not those on-your-knees girly push-ups. I don't know any woman (well, maybe one) who can do 16 real ones. And, guys I know, I'd venture that none of you can do 27. Anyone care to prove me wrong?

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

sorry I haven't had time to comment; I've been too busy doing push-ups