Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Woes of the Short

This has the makings of a continuing series.

The saga of short-statured adults is a story of taking one baby step forward and two baby steps back.

There’s always a downer. Fresh on the heels of last week’s great news that we can commit crimes with impunity because we are too short to serve time, comes this bad news from the NY Times. Yes, I didn’t have to go to the Globe & Mail for my weekend irritant, I found it on-line in the Times.

The Petite Department is going the way of the 8-track player. Apparently short women no longer exist so there is no need to cater to this now-mythical clientele. Start rolling up your sleeves and cuffs.

I grow old, I grow old I must keep the bottoms of my trousers rolled,
because I have no choice,
because they don’t make any trousers in my size anymore, the scummy capitalists.


My favourite quote: "Petite women, [executives] said, would rather wear the more youthful, skin-baring and tighter-fitting clothing in the contemporary departments, even if it does not fit them as well." I’m sorry but this is utter, utter bullshit.

I just re-read the quote, man, that is so insulting. Short women would rather wear something trendy that doesn’t fit them, than wear comfortable well-fitting clothes. Says who? Argh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is utter bullshit. I am grateful to one chain store here that has pants in short, medium or long leg - thank you!! At 5'4", I go for those short leg pants every time or otherwise I buy a pair and then have to get them taken up.

cityofmushrooms said...

you know, 8-track players and short women DO exist...just off the radar