Thursday, May 25, 2006

I've never seen the show, but

that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. Hee.

Boldly venturing into a world I know nothing about, I'm just skimming an article in the Washington Post that wonders if American Idol is "fixed". All I can think is: who cares if it is? They're not electing a government. It's just like the game show scandals of the 50's. (Remember Rafe as Charles van Doren, of course I do.) So what if the winner is decided ahead of time. It's a t.v. show.

Obviously this proves I've never watched the show, but it seems to me that the whole conspiracy angle would just make people talk about the show even more and make it more and more popular. Won't people watch just because it makes them mad? Viewers love to get upset about unfairness, no? I think so.

This being said, why do I think it is just a matter of time before some crazed fan of some nobody contestant shoots Simon Cowell? And what does it say about the saturation level of this show that I even know who Simon Cowell is and that I know he is the bitchy “bad guy”.

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

glad I work nights and miss it

Anonymous said...

Gah! I was attending a meeting of a Foundation that works with future leaders (high school students) of which my niece is a part of. The Adminstrator, a normally learned woman with a PhD for god's sake, confided to us that she'd go as fast as she could so we could all go home and watch American Idol.

Apparently the look on my face was so transparent that she couldn't take her eyes off of me the rest of the evening. I said nothing until we were leaving. Then I'm afraid I was seen in Dowtown San Diego on a lovely summer evening loudly shouting f**king American Idol!

Anonymous said...

Well, I have certainly never seen it nor have I watched our very own 'Australian Idol' either. Just wondering, how are the ratings going? Maybe thats why such a story has 'appeared' (been planted?) in the newspaper?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I believe the ratings were the best ever for this season. This whole phenomenon baffles me. It's a talent show! Who cares?

I don't know if this makes me a snob, but I've missed the boat on the whole reality t.v. thing. I know I have work colleagues who are into all these shows, but they don't even bother to ask me anymore if I watched such-and-such last night. And I don't ask them if they saw Lou Dobbs. heh.

Anonymous said...

Apparently I'm only a snob about reality TV. I don't watch Idol. But Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, and the over the top the Apprentice? I'm hooked!

Anonymous said...

I think I am a reality TV snob and very happy about it too. We have Big Brother on at the moment - they lock them up in a house up in Queensland in one of those 'Worlds' (Movie World, DreamWorld, Universal Studios, one of those) and when its not on you can visit the house - wow! Look what we're missing........