Saturday, May 20, 2006

On Mixed Marriages

Item 1.
Listening to Froggy Went A Courtin’ on the new Springsteen CD had been keeping me up nights pondering a burning question. As the song goes, Froggy proposed to and married Miss Mouse. I had been really bothered by whether a frog and a mouse could mate. Springsteen is mum on the subject, but it turns out Pete Seeger had dealt with this issue in his version of the song. Apparently, according to Seeger, the offspring of Froggy and Miss Mouse were furry tadpoles. I can die happy, all is resolved. That is such a load off my mind.


Item 2.
This afternoon, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I was reminded of a joke that, as a kid, I thought was absolutely hilarious. I wish I knew what brought it back to mind.


Why did the Irish potato and the Idaho potato not want their daughter, the sweet potato, to marry Walter Cronkite?
Because he was a commentator.
.
.
.
The thought that occurred to me today but never did 30 years ago was: Why did Walter Cronkite want to marry a potato?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to start taking whatever pills your doctor prescribes for you right now!!!!!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hey susie,
You know I think you may well be right!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Someone more creative than I could change potatos (potatoes?) to luxury liners, or some other snob boat, and fit the anchorman joke in there. But I won't attempt it.

cityofmushrooms said...

step away from the cd player
get outside
go for a walk
maybe go and buy some potaotes
no, wait
don't do that either