Monday, May 08, 2006

My Trip to Rafeville

Q: How is a room at the Portland Square Hotel like an Iraqi holding cell?
A: Both are tiny, tiny spaces where one can enjoy tasty Doritos in very cramped quarters.

Working back from Sunday a.m.….Cyclists must die. I don’t care about sight-seeing, fitness or family fun if it means I’m going to miss my flight because I can’t get to LaGuardia because streets and bridges everywhere are closed off for some stupid-ass bike tour. Arrived at the airport so late, I had to rush to my gate and didn’t even get a chance to pick up a couple of bags of Cool Ranch Doritos. Leaving the country without any physical evidence of what makes America great and tasty.
Meal: Big American breakfast. Rating: A-1.

Saturday night.
Why is the second Cosmopolitan so much stronger than the first? Hic.


Rafe on stage. He is a bad man, playing a bad man. This makes me happy.
He is also exquisitely lithe and handsome. This also delights me.




At the very end, we learn that Rafe's character will be beaten to death with farm implements and will be grateful for this release from his miserable life. There is something downright spooky about the final moments of his performance. I manage not to scream out "Don't go into the garden, Rafe". What self control.

When Ian McDiarmid appears on stage, we resist yelling "PALPATINE!", but just.

The play itself is grown-up, literate, difficult and very demanding of the audience. Travelling Companion (T.C.) sums it up: “This isn’t The Lion King”.
Meal: Turkish. Rating: Good.

Saturday afternoon.
At the MOMA, on the fifth floor. T.C., agog, says: “It’s like my art history textbook vomited this room”. That’s an image that will stay with me.
Earlier along 5th Avenue, T.C. has foot problems, thus gets renamed “Wolf Blister, cub reporter”. She didn’t find this nearly as amusing as I did.
Meal: No lunch. But a small bag of Cool Ranch Doritos mid-afternoon.

Saturday morning.
General wandering.
Meal: Late breakfast at Edison Hotel. Rating: Let’s ignore the food and just say the atmosphere was… interesting.

Friday evening.
Generally hanging out on Rafe Street (45th) until a later supper.
Meal: French. Good wine. Rating: A.

Friday afternoon.
Walked, walked, walked, until blisters appeared. The Bowery has a lot of lamp stores! Ooh wee. Chinatown, Little Italy, Chelsea, Soho, Greenwich Village. Short pilgrimage to Bob’s old house at 94 Macdougal Street. Picture me in front of this door. And to think some people waste their time at Lourdes.
Meal: Thai. Rating: A-1



Friday a.m.
CNN Tour. Larry King’s set looks like it is made of Lite Brite. How cheap looking. Did not see Lou Dobbs. Will learn to live with that disappointment. Coolest things on the tour: A set of Iraqi playing cards, with Saddam as the Ace o’Spades, also the M out of the Saddam Hussein International Airport sign.
Meal: Big American breakfast. Rating: A.

Thursday evening.
At hotel and then Times Square. T.C. adopts the phrase “wave of humanity” which will be used repeatedly.
Meal: Indian. Rating: Good, except for nan bread which earns an A.

14 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

so basically, you and rafe/ralph were breathing the SAME AIR for a few short, sweet hours...

also: I am SOOOOOO jealous of MOMA

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I thought of you when we looked at the Francis Bacons...

cityofmushrooms said...

jealous I am

cityofmushrooms said...

hey, rattansifan,
I'm jealous of you too

cityofmushrooms said...

ha!

Anonymous said...

OK, who is, or was, Bob? And why take a pic of his front door? Don't they sell doritos in Canada?

Anonymous said...

alright, alright, I've worked it out, thank you!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie,
We have Doritos but not "Cool Ranch" Doritos anymore. Maybe we still get them in other parts of Canada, but not in any store in my neighbourhood, and trust me, I've checked every store. So this was quite the treat.

cityofmushrooms said...

check out dill pickle doritos
strange yet delicious

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Bought a bag just yesterday. It was hardly my first bag...they are delish.

cityofmushrooms said...

glad to hear eastern canada is well stocked

Anonymous said...

Dill pickle doritos? What is happening to the diets of you Canadians!!!!

cityofmushrooms said...

dill = an herb = healthfood
dill picke doritos? sure, why not?
healthfood chips!
don't knock 'em till ya try 'em

Anonymous said...

Fortunately the tastebuds of your average Australian are a little more sophisticated.......