Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Not busy right now

I'll share a little anecdote since I am between tasks now.

On Sunday afternoon, when I arrived at Nickname Pending's place, he had put on some music. I didn't really notice what it was, a mix of some kind. We were sitting on the couch, chatting, and then You've Got A Friend, by James Taylor, a.k.a. the Voice of a Slow Painful Death, came on.

(Important detail: Nickname Pending is a bit younger* than me.)

After a minute, I stopped and asked: Do you really listen to this? He looked worried and said in a meek voice: I thought you'd like it.

Anyone who knows me can just imagine my face at that moment.

In a flash, NP was off the couch and at his computer looking for a new mix. He sat back on the couch, the Beastie Boys came on. And all was well.

P.S. This morning, lying awake listening to CBC before dragging my carcass out of bed, You've Got a Friend came on. That dreadful song is going to haunt me all week.

*Okay, fine, quite a bit younger.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the two of you have just officially found your wedding song. How sweet it is!*

JAW fan

*to be in love by you!

cityofmushrooms said...

when you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand...BBWWAWW HAW HAW HAWWWW!!

(so all middle aged ladies are JT fans???)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I guess he thought that.
Kids today.

Brian Busby said...

"You've Got a Friend"? Just how old does Nickname Pending think you are? I mean, Taylor's recording is from 1971. Yes, yes, we all remember 1971... hell, if I think hard enough I can remember Expo. But really, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" would've been more appropriate.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The Smiths did come on later, on the mix that had the Beastie Boys on it. I think I shall be spared real oldies from now on.