Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Swing, batter, batter

As the League Championships and the World Series are on the horizon (it is October, after all) how about a little baseball news.

I read this in Sunday's paper and I'm still recovering.

"A new book by a former employee of Alcor, the company that froze Ted Williams' remains, alleges the Baseball Hall of Famer's body was mistreated by the company.

Larry Johnson says in the book "Frozen: My Journey Into the World of Cryonics, Deception and Death" that he watched an Alcor official swing a monkey wrench at Williams' frozen severed head to try to remove a tuna can stuck to it. The first swing accidentally struck the head, Johnson contends, and the second knocked the tuna can loose."

I love tuna, but I'm not sure I can ever eat it again. This kinda puts me off the Red Sox, too.

4 comments:

LLJ said...

Thank Gawd!! I read this story and waited...no one wants to be overly quick with severed head stories... : )

I'm even more appalled that the employee who did the actual decapitations for this company isn't a Doctor. Although I shouldn't be surprised.

Please tell me someone besides me read the book Stiff? It's about what happens when you donate your body to science. It is surprising funny considering the subject matter.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like my kind of read.

And have you ever known me to pass up on a good severed head tale?

Susieq said...

OMG - a severed head story - we haven't had one of these for ages! Well, since the olden days on a previous blog......but this is pretty bizarre - any explanation of how the can of tuna got there in the first place? Do I really want an answer to that question?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

If I recall correctly, the tuna can is used to balance the head like a pedestal. (A hedestal, perhaps?) And, maybe I dreamt this part, but I think there's a cat involved in the story too.

The whole thing is macabre.

But, hey, it's a severed head story. Everybody wins!