Sunday, February 17, 2008

In Bruges

This movie made me want to go to Bruges. And I don't even like Belgians.

Actually that's unfair. I don't like the idea of Belgians. The stereotype of Belgians as boring, uptight, nasty little people. I don't like those Belgians. But I know two actual Belgians and I like them both. They're both great. I think of them as exceptions to the normal Belgians, whom I don't like.

Anyway, the movie is so-so. The performances are all good, but the combination of comedy and ultra-violence doesn't work. It can work (see Tarantino) but in this case it doesn't. The movie turns far too dark in the end after all the jokes that come at the beginning.

The movie is very hostile towards Americans, but not in a clever or new way. It's just fat Americans or racist Americans, and ho hum, who cares about that.

But it has Rafe! Beautiful Rafe. And he's always worth the price of admission.

Also, my favourite line is referring to a half-pint of beer as a "gay beer". I just found that amusing.

The moral of the movie is: never be mean to a Canadian. Anyone who has seen it will understand.

No comments: