Friday, June 12, 2009

Tick, tick, tick

No doubt JAW Fan is wondering what is taking me so long to get to blogging about the web site we were both on this week.

Deathclock.com

For (morbid) fun, go the site, fill in the form, but fill it in 4 times: once for each of the categories Normal, Pessimistic, Optimistic and Sadistic. And see the results.

Clearly, it doesn’t matter if you smoke your lungs out and line your arteries with tasty, tasty fats, as long as you are an Optimist, you will live forever.

Here are my forecast death dates:

Normal: May 10, 2038
Pessimist: March 3, 2015
Optimist: June 1, 2050
Sadist: May 10, 1999 (I’m already dead)

I’d like to examine the scientific methodology behind this data. But, whatever, if it’s on the internet it must be true.

Nanuk, the New Optimist

10 comments:

Brian Busby said...

Farewell my dreams of attending the bicentennial ceremonies on Parliament Hill. Even at its most optimistic Death Clock has me dead by 2061.

But wait, shouldn't nationality come into play? And what about drink and drugs?

Leaving that last question hanging in the air, I present Death Clock's Keith Richards prediction:

Normal: 6 May 2013
Pessimistic: 20 February 1991
Sadistic: 6 May 1978
Optimistic: 27 June 2023

Imagine, 20 February 1991 as a pessimistic projection for Keith. I'm still amazed that he made it as far as Some Girls.

cityofmushrooms said...

he's the undead

Anonymous said...

Hmm...what is scarier?

Keith Richards himself?...or the fact that BB knows how tall he is and how much he weighs in order to be able to plug in the figures?

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Keith is 5'8" and weighs 155 - everyone knows that.

Why are 4 of the 8 dates on this entry in May? April is the cruellest month; May the deadliest?

cityofmushrooms said...

yeah and in june the kids get out of school
(let the wall-to-wall fighting over the remote begin)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

What does this mean? That people should be happy to die in May so they avoid another summer with their kids?

cityofmushrooms said...

no, only that it's going to get a lot louder around here

Brian Busby said...

Actually, I guessed that Keith's BMI was <25. Pretty safe bet, don't you think? That said, I did know he was 5'8". Oh, is that really so, really so strange?

Susieq said...

Normal 31/5/2037
Pessimistic 19/4/2019
Sadistic 31/5/1998
Optimist 15/8/2048

Not sure how I can already be dead....(no smart comments please!!)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie, you're 2 years old than me, yet, as a pessimist, you'll live 2 years longer. Are they measuring our degree of pessimism? Our relative pessimism?

Oh, it's all too scientific for me.

Brian, I don't know what is more strange: that you know Keith's height or that I don't know Dylan's height or even Springsteen's height. How could I not know such things?