Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Sometimes, I'm not smart

I, for one, am happy it is raining pitchforks this morning. Why? Because when I did my spring planting a few weeks ago, it didn't quite occur to me that planting a lot more of everything meant a lot more watering of everything.

I'm developing heavy-watering-can-shoulder-itis.

So let it rain. Let Nature do my work for me. On the plus side, my green beans are growing like cray-zee.

My lettuce remains a lost cause, as my groundhog-in-residence (whom I have named George, because he needed a name since he lives here) is devouring every shoot on a nightly basis. And this morning, I was informed that a raccoon has been hanging around the 'hood too. He also needs a name...but not Rocky.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestions for your raccoon's name:

Irwin?...Fernando?...Jean-Paul?...

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

"Rocky" is good! There is a song by the Beatles with that name, so it could be a tribute.

Anonymous said...

And another bonus of naming him "Rocky" - even if you don't like it it'll be okay, since everyone will know him as Nancy.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

???

Should I be getting that reference? Everyone will know him as Nancy? (I'm sure I'll feel dumb when it is explained to me...)

I like Fernando. I'm going with Fernando Raccoon. In true French Canadian style, it can be shortened to Nando.

Anonymous said...

"Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy" is a line from Rocky Raccoon.

It's a famous song by the Beatles.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Thanks. I never would've known that. I've heard of the song, but don't actually know how it goes.

cityofmushrooms said...

now it's stuck in my head
but that's ok

Anonymous said...

I thought of that Rocky but also of the other one ("Hey Rocky!") in Bullwinkle...

now re. heavy watering cans, woman, don't you have a hose? If not, I'm going to get you one as a late housewarming. Sheesh. watering cans are for the flower pots on the front porch.

re. rain - we had to bike in it yesterday for our fund raiser - typical.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I live in an old house. Yes I have a hose but the outdoor spigot is crap, and, oh it's a really long story. It's just easier to fill the watering can three times than deal with the outdoor tap that doesn't shut off. Disaster-ville.