Friday, June 05, 2009

Thinking about Death in the afternoon

Since I’m on the subject of inconvenient death…

Last weekend someone I knew very slightly died of a cocaine overdose. Her obituary started “Suddenly, at her home…”

I’ve seen that wording many times, and innocent that I am, I’ve always assumed that the deceased had either a) a massive coronary or b) fallen off a ladder.

Now, the next time I read “Suddenly, at home” I’m gonna be thinking cocaine overdose. Or that they pulled a Carradine, so to speak.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"someone I knew very slightly died" - you know I had to re-read that sentence. I was wondering how does one slightly die and why is it in the obits? are they dead or not? TGIF!

Susieq said...

Often here 'suddenly at home' can mean suicide too....

Anonymous said...

Okay, this has nothing to do with that. Sorry to hear about it, by the way.

Someone who isn't wasting their life and talent on drugs is Sue Croll, according to tomorrow's Variety:

"The movie just exploded. What's really nice is that it puts Warners firmly in the comedy business," Warner prexy of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said. "Todd Phillips really has a handle on young audiences, plus Sue Kroll came up with a great marketing strategy. Nobody saw this coming."

Writes poetry and novels, and markets the hell out of gross-out comedies. Yes. Sue Croll. And don't pretend it's two different people. That's just silly.

Anonymous said...

If you're going to disguise yourself, hiding an "E" won't do it!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

She pretends to "go" to "Toronto" but in fact flies down to H'wood to be a big wig. Now we know.

Anonymous said...

Do we have any real evidence there actually is a "Toronto"?

cityofmushrooms said...

...I feel so out-ed