Thursday, June 11, 2009

Food Fakery

A couple of decades ago, when I was in Paris and looking for something to eat that wouldn’t cost a fortune, I went into a shop and bought two quintessentially French things, which were available at home, but I just never bought them: Orangina and BabyBel cheese.

I loved Orangina while over there, but once I was home it just didn’t taste the same, so I rarely bought it again.

But BabyBels I have continued to buy, when ON SALE, for the past 20-odd years. Last night at IGA (where else?) there were BabyBels ON SALE, so I picked them up. This morning I am reading the label; it says “Cheddar Taste”.

Cheddar Taste but not cheddar? Is it not cheese? Don’t tell me that my favourite food that comes in red wax with a red wax belt and looks like a Pac Man when you remove the “product” is not cheese. I am sad. :(

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

note to self: quit readin' those labels

Susieq said...

Cheddar taste?? Could be made of anything!!! What is the world coming to!

Anonymous said...

too funny. I just had one last weekend for the first time in years, but it was teh gouda variety. Good but not sure it was the gouda. gouda no good? I'm starting to sound like my russian neighbour.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I betcha it was "Gouda taste" not real gouda. Darn fake French cheese.