Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More Doom on the Way

Creepy story on The National last night about a guy with untreatable tuberculosis who flew from Atlanta to Paris to Prague, and then Prague to Montreal. The cops finally tracked him down in New York State and flew him back to Atlanta where he is now being kept in a superduper quarantine.

Apparently there are 4 standard drugs to treat TB and this guy’s strain is resistant to all 4 of them.

Now the authorities want to test everyone who was sitting near him on all his flights. Great. Good luck tracking those folks down. What about the people he encountered on the ground?

While we’re all waiting for bird flu to kill us, what if this guy turns out to be Patient Zero in an epidemic of ultra-virulent scary-ass TB that’s already moving through North America and Europe.

10 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

kill your tv

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

But the news is on the Internet, too. I can't escape bad news! I'm becoming a hermit. A TB-free hermit.

By the way, I've been reading more about Patient Zero. Turns out he's an arrogant asshole who knew he was sick and ignored the official warning not to travel. What a surprise.

Anonymous said...

Happy to say I do not live in panic...I don't lose sleep over dying bees, TB, SARS (whatever happened to that!!! I still haven't forgiven the mask-wearing idiots for being so stupid!), terrorist attacks, anthrax...my only concern is that these topics are deemed newsworthy and run the risk of interrupting my soap opera.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

JAW, I worry about you getting into a brawl at the bus stop. If I watch enough t.v. news sooner or later I'll see you getting hauled away by the STM cops.

cityofmushrooms said...

avoid news sites on the internet

for example as a treat for the 9 yr old this morning I surfed you tube for "wayne's world bohemian rhapsody"

what a good mother am I!

Anonymous said...

You're right!...What with all those people cutting in line and hitting me with their knapsacks, no wonder I have no time to be concerned about TB and terrorists.

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

people hit J-FAN w/knapsacks???

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Maybe I could invite him to guest blog about his bus experiences.

Warning to the public at large: Don't ever cut in line in front of that man. If this was Florida, and everyone carried a gun, he would have been shot by now, or he would've shot somebody.

Anonymous said...

I have one thing to say about people with knapsacks on the bus/metro:

TAKE YOUR $%(*!$&$&^!@ BAG OFF YOUR BACK AND PUT IT ON THE GROUND, YOU MORONS...THAT WAY YOU WON"T HIT PEOPLE (WHO ARE SITTING) IN THE FACE WITH THE ^(&%%^$ THING!!!!

Thank you.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Now if a guy with untreatable TB and a knapsack cut in front of JAW Fan and then coughed on him!
...oh I don't wanna think about it.