Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Love Clive James

Ten minutes with nothing to do?

Go to the Times of London site’s Arts & Entertainment section and watch Clive James’s film on 20th Century. He’s still got it! He's the dream commentator for those of us who like our history lessons with a lot of humour in them. No matter how grim the topic.

Years ago, CBC ran his series Fame in the 20th Century and I was blown away by him. The only thing I retained was his referring to the commander of the Luftwaffe as “Fatty” Goering. It was completely unnecessary. It added nothing but was still so funny.

Anyway, his current film is about dictators and includes all the biggies, Stalin, Fidel and Mao, and the snide commentary is a lot of fun.


Did you know that Coco Chanel was friendly with the Nazis? I didn’t know anything about this. It would be enough to make me toss out my Chanel No. 5, if I had any to toss out.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

fatty goering?

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Clive - he's coming home later in the year to do some shows and we're going to go see him. I asked my friend exactly what the show consists of and she said she thinks its just Clive talking....looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.