Friday, September 08, 2006

Their Greatest Hits

This new Al Qaeda tape. There's a word for these guys: cocky.

A stroll down memory lane with the 19. It should have used Babs singing The Way We Were in the background. It’s kind of a shame they don’t drink because it would’ve been a nice touch to have a few shots of them in the present hoisting some frothy mugs of beer and crying in that nostalgic way guys do when they get together to relive their glory days.

I wonder how excited they were about producing and releasing their 5th anniversary tribute video. Al Qaeda nerds splicing together various bits. Look, says one, I superimposed this guy’s suicide message over the burning World Trade Center. How cool is that? Ooooh, say the rest. The Sheik will love this.

Bin Laden in a comfortable cave, chuckling and updating his list of “Ways to poke finger in infidel’s Bush eye”.

And now there’s a suicide bomber in downtown Kabul. Five years later, five years after the alleged defeat of the Taliban. Do we even want to stop these guys? I suspect not.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe the maudlin song de jour these days is "I will remember you." I was nostalgic because it again seems in part like the terrorist exercise video.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Great. I've now had that friggin' song in my head for an hour. Thank you SO MUCH.

Did you see all the kung fu kicking in the new video. I'll bet most Al Qaeda guys are big Bruce Lee fans. Under their robes they are wearing yellow jumpsuits, perhaps?