Friday, September 08, 2006

Reader's Digest(ion)

I heard an odd thing this morning. I was ordering a bagel w/cream cheese, when a lady I know came up next to me inquiring what I was breakfasting on. I told her, and she told me that she used to love bagels but she gave them up because she read they were hard to digest.

Now I’ve known plenty of people who’ve given up plenty of foods because they themselves have problems digesting said foods, but this is the first time I’ve heard of giving something up because she’d read it is hard to digest. She never had a physical problem from eating bagels, but she’d read about it. Am I crazy? Is there something I don’t know about digestion that I should know?

Can a food be universally hard to digest, i.e. it’s difficult for everyone even if none of us is aware that we are causing ourselves such troubles? If so, shouldn’t these foods come with warning labels that say: “Difficult to Digest (for everyone, no exceptions)”

I told her that I had never felt any discomfort from bagels so I was going to keep on ordering them. People are weird.

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

maybe she heard about the hard to digest bagel on oprah

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

But I like this lady. She's generally smart and nice, which is one of the major reasons I am surprised she is guided by what she reads and not by her own stomach.

We all have our faults and perhaps intellectualizing her food intake is one of hers?