Friday, February 26, 2010

Romantic Phone Box

I talked on the phone last night with a new guy. Within 30 seconds, he said "I can't get over your voice." Apparently, my voice on the phone is "assertive" and "confident".

Okay. Vote time: anyone who has ever spoken to me on the phone, tell me do I have an assertive and/or confident voice?

I've always, always hated the sound of my voice.

Then he asked me if I had a lot of people working for me because I sound like a boss. Really? Given my conversation of 2 days ago with my boss, I took this as a great omen. If I believed in omens, that is.

So my assertive and confident voice threw him off his "game plan" for the conversation. Meaning what? He said he had planned to "charm" me but realized immediately this was not going to work.

This was not a bad thing, as we did make plans to meet next week. But I wonder if I am uncharmable, does this also mean that (to use a great word from the song that this blog takes its name from) I am also unboyfriendable?

Start calling me The Boss.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about just plain Bruce.

cityofmushrooms said...

so these are your choices: breathy marilyn monroe voice or talk like bruce springsteen?

Anonymous said...

Assertive and confident...hmm, better than the voice I get when I call you while you're eating!!!

JAW fan

Brian Busby said...

I believe that there is good money to be made by women who seem assertive, confident and in control over the phone.

Not that I think your own "game plan" at work is doomed... more that it's nice to know there are career options.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Career Opportunities!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think your voice sounds wise and cynical. And it feels like a great coup when I can make you laugh! It feels like you're choosing your words carefully. And I feel like a rambling freakin' fool. But then when don't I? You have a nice voice.

Anon LP

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Wise and cynical? Interesting. thank you. And no you do not go on like a rambling fool