Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Machiavelli would be proud

Loyal readers of this blog will recall that I have two New Year's Resolutions involving a Machiavellian plan to secure my boss's job.

This afternoon, my boss pops into my office, something she rarely does, sits herself down and says: "When I go, are you going to apply for my job?" Not being a liar, I said: "Yes. I'm certainly considering it."

She answered: "Oh thank god because you're the only one who's qualified to do it." She looked immensely relieved. What followed was a surreal conversation. I felt myself floating above, looking down, and wondering what the hell is this about? Is she planning on leaving soon? Could be. Does she think her current deputy is incompetent and unfit to take over. She certainly does.

4 comments:

Susieq said...

Hey!!!! Terrific!!!! (you are pleased I hope......) - so she'll be putting in a good word for you then?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

She said she would, but we both know it won't mean much.

cityofmushrooms said...

Congratulations, mastermind behind the take-over!

Susieq said...

Too true Nanuk, but I hope it turns out well for you!