Monday, May 02, 2011

Sunday afternoon in NDG

I am now free to regain control of my domicile as Fancy Feast is off to the National Capital Region for 3 weeks vacation. Yesterday, as a parting gift, he suggested reprising the rib eye steak from heaven with garlic mashed potatoes that he had made on Thursday. I happily agreed to this plan.

He was scheduled to take the 2:00 p.m. bus to Ottawa but seeing that he didn't start marinating the steaks until 1:30, I knew that plan had flown way out of the window into the next riding.

Seems it is impossible to make a beer-based marinade without actually consuming beer at the same time. My father would've agreed with this methodology. He bought 3 cans of Rickard's Red. 1/2 a can for the marinade, 1 1/2 cans for him and 1 can for me. I didn't want one so that's 2 1/2 cans for him. Then came the scotch.

He generously poured some Johnny Walker Red into the bowl of soy sauce, beer and steak spice.

Me: Whoa. That's more than a measure of scotch. You never actually measure anything.
FF: No. It's all measured by eye.
Me: !!
FF: How about doing shots?
Me: Are you crazy? It's 1:30 on Sunday afternoon. I'm not doing shots.
FF: Why not?
Me: I'm old and I can't drink. I'm not doing shots.
FF: Live a little.
(He starts to put the bottle away.) (I decide to live a little.)
Me: Umm...okay. Let's do one.
FF: YAAAAY! (Gets two shot glasses. Pours. "Cheers". We drink.)
Aside: Johnny Walker Red is the cheapest and there's a reason it is cheap. It's not very smooth. I can feel it searing my insides.
FF: Whoa. This stuff is rough.
Me: My lungs are burning.
(Pause)
Me: Let's have another.
FF: GREAT! (Pours another. "Cheers" We drink.)
Me: That's enough.
FF: You're such a cheap drunk.
He continues cooking while I sit and watch.
Me: My legs are numb.
FF: HaHaHaHaHa. Open the wine. (We had red wine to accompany the steaks.)

After lunch, we both needed a nap. I slept for 1/2 hour, FF slept for 2 hours.

What I learned:
When you live with a 20-something, you start living like a 20-something. This cannot be good in the long term.

The steak was very good again, but the high point was the mushrooms which were also cooked in the marinade. I could've eaten them forever. Now for three weeks, it's back to culinary reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Culinary reality...or, in this case, it may also be referred to as "dieting"

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

ah, the sweet and subtle seductions of FF will be missed--