Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dive Bars and Bagels

Talking to the Tall Teacher the other night about (in)famous dive bars of Montreal. He's too young to remember O'Leary's when it was O'Leary's Irish Heaven but when I referred to it as Spurs, he said Oh Yeah! The least Irish Irish heaven bar on earth.

Then I mentioned the worst of the worst: Bar Diana. There was a pause. I clarified: on St. Catherine near Fort. Long Pause. "The Eskimo Bar?" he asked.
I said I believed the politically correct term was "the bar full of drunken Natives". His response: OMG!

He then told me about his most recent visit to Maz (or as he put it, "you call it Ma Heller's, it's a generational thing"). He was at a table with friends when the woman sitting alone at the next table slid off her chair and onto the floor. He said he looked around and said to the staff "can someone help her?" I asked "you didn't try to help her yourself?" HELL NO, he said.

So he left Maz and crossed over to D.A.D.s Bagels (where MsMushroom purchased 6 and 1/2 dozen bagels a few months ago, thus depleting their stock) and the toothless woman who faceplanted at Maz followed him in and tried to pick him up.

And this is why NDG is a high-class neighbourhood.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

those holy and beautiful mtl bagels barely lasted 2 weeks--

not to mention ste cath and fort: NOSTALGIE pour moi!!

Anonymous said...

Bar Diana. Wow. See, I've had the time of my life in O'Leary's, and gotten perfectly wonderfully shit-faced at Ma Heller's, but Bar Diana is a place I can't even think about. I like to pretend I just imagined I was there, or saw it in some really depressing Canadian movie about Indians and child abuse that ends with someone shooting themselves in a tree.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Funny, but I was going to add to the post that I wasn't sure why I had ever ended up in Bar Diana, EVER, but I suspected it had something to do with one C. Kelly wanting to experience it.