Sunday, November 08, 2009

Long-winded narrative about an on-line romantic scammer

When I retire from my glorious current employment, I will become a private investigator as my second career. The Internet makes it so easy!



As I wrote below, the Invisible Man’s email provided his full name. It is an unusual name so I decided to google him to see if there was anything about him out there in cyberland. There was only one thing.


(Aside: has anyone been Googling for the past few days. It is so cute. Every day they have a different Sesame Street character in the title. Today’s its Elmo!)



He (the Invisible Man, not Elmo) is the subject of a long rant on a site about “romance scammers”. A woman wrote it to say that her aunt was being conned by some man she met on the Internet and is in love with. It’s a long story so I’ll just post the original complaint:


Quote He’s asking her for money to help him get back to Canada. She’s almost sending out $925 plus willing to send money for a plane ticket. Do you know this guy? He says he’s from Malaysia and his wife died and his 2 kids are staying with his sister in law. His friend died in the UK and he flew over there lost his wallet in the cab. He’s a real estate agent. He's rich of course. Now he wants her to sign over her power of attorney... Help!!! Unquote.


It got worse. Over the course of a few months, it appears the woman sent him five thousand bucks.


Later, he shows up on the site defending himself and his reputation. It’s the same guy who emailed me for sure. The email address is the same, and the writing style is too. I won’t post his name, because I don’t want him or anyone involved with him coming to this peaceful little blog. Email me if you want to read it all.


So I emailed him, and said: Hey, guess what? I Googled you, pal, and saw the whole story. I told him he could respond any time, but somehow, this time around, I’m really not expecting to hear back from him.


Is it time to give up on the Romantic Male Box? Time to return to fruitlessly lusting after a Scotsman at work? Or try to reconcile with Kumar? It’s a weird world out there.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

dork

Susieq said...

What a loser this guy is!!!! But how do people fall for these scams? (sadly, they often seem to be women....).
Well, I'm hardly in a position to offer advice....but I think you should try the Romantic Male Box again. Kumar - no. Scotsman at work - sounds like it ain't going to happen.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

But there are certainly other vipers like "bob" in the Romantic Male Box. What if I fall into a trap?

(Who am I kidding? Like anybody would ever squeeze a dollar out of me?)

I do think a lot of men fall for this too. They think they are writing/sending money to a perky little Russian blonde, and it's really a guy in Nigeria. Happens all the time.