Monday, December 08, 2008

Opera News

Wow, it's been a long, long while since I, Nanuk of the North, have come across an opera story to blog about. But I, Nanuk of the North, was happy to read this today:

Tenor cries betrayal as La Scala dumps him

The famed opera house threw its understudy into one of its biggest nights Sunday, removing tenor Giuseppe Filianoti at the last minute for the season-opening premiere of Don Carlo after he made mistakes during a dress rehearsal.
...
Filianoti didn't go quietly, telling the Milan daily Corriere della Sera that he had been “betrayed” by the opera house, “stabbed in the back at the last minute.”

“La Scala wanted me to say I was sick. But I, Giuseppe Filianoti, am in perfect condition, ready to engage myself in a role in which I feel secure,” the paper quoted him as saying. (The Globe & Mail)

The crowd may not have been happy but. judging from the photos, they got more tenor for their money with the understudy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, them La Scala people!!!

Obviously the understudy hasn't been performing and has been sitting in his dressing room scoffing chips until his big break finally came...now that it has, he can barely fit into his costume.

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

but...what KIND of chips??

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Spicy meat-a ball-a ?