Monday, October 22, 2007

Let's get physical and start loving the mullet

Halloween encroacheth.

Here on the mushroom farm, it means trying to figure out costumes for the kids (which I'm not too good at).

Miss Mushrooms wants to be "an 80's girl". I invited her to peruse my closet. She seemed oddly unimpressed with even my lime green big shouldered shiny blazer. A few days later, she announced that her 80's girl costume needs leggings and leg warmers. Mr. Mushrooms and I mumbled something about needing to get going to soccer (he's not good at costumes either). Later she e-mailed us colourful word documents complete with google-image-found images of Olivia Newton John in her "Let's get physical" phase (Oh God, now I've got to find one of those fuzzy headband things too). Miss Mushroom is a resourceful girl and I'm hoping she can work this out without too many trips to obscure dance stores. That sounds more like a dad-job, no?

Mushroom Jr. is easier (I thought). He wants to go as his hero, Ozzy Osbourne. Someone gave us long tunic thing that is supposed to be for the Indian festival of Diwali, but it can double as Ozzy in the early 70's. And I can just buy a long black wig. What can be easier, right? Wrong. Superstore had long blond wigs, and Afro wigs, and even a diva curly blond wig (which I bought and offered to Miss Mushrooms for the 80's girl costume which was rejected so maybe Mr. Mushrooms can wear it when he hands out candy), but no Ozzy-straight-black hair wigs. What they had was a mullet wig: hideous and scary and I bought it. Mushroom Jr. commented that this was not Ozzy hair but put it on and immediately loved it (what's not to love?). He then happily claimed that he will go as a hippy which is the great fall-back of all Halloween costumes.

What's scary for me is all those cute grade 10 guys had mullets and we didn't even know the hair that everybody had even a had a name, let alone that it would make us so embarrassed 30 years on.



(cityofmushrooms over and out-
welcome back nanuk-hope you are feeling better)

1 comment:

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

A Diwali tunic? Hmm. The things we accumulate in our lives...