Monday, June 11, 2007

Sing a little song, do a little dance

Whilst pondering Iron Man today (don’t ask), I began to think of making a list of songs.

The most likely list would be, of course, the 10 Best Songs in the Universe. But I could never trim my list of faves down to 10.

So then I got to thinking about which songs I could live the rest of my life without ever hearing again and I wouldn’t miss them. Again I don’t think I can narrow this down to 10, so I’ll just start and see where this goes.

1. Hotel California
2. Stairway to Heaven. I liked it when I was 16 but overplay, overplay, overplay, leaves me never wanting to hear it again.
3. Bloody Well Right. And just about every other Supertramp song I can think of.

I think this list is going to be 1980s heavy. And yes, Montrealers, I am a victim of growing up listening to CHOM. So many songs I hate just because CHOM had to play them day in and day out.

4. Silly Love Songs. This is the Wings part of the list. I could have 10 or 20 items just on the anti-Wings list. God I hate Paul McCartney.
5. McCartney’s horrible Christmas song. I don’t know the name of it. I know everything McCartney- related should fall under No. 4 above, but this one deserves its own spot.
6. We Built this City on Rock’n’Roll. So bad it could’ve been recorded by Wings.
7. Heaven. I don’t hate Bryan Adams but I’ve always hated this one.
8. We Didn’t Start the Fire. Yep, it’s the Billy Joel moment on the list. Again, several songs could fill this spot.
9. Rainy Day Women 12 & 35. Hey, you didn’t expect to see a Dylan song here, I bet. But I hate this song and never need to hear it again.
10. Crazy Little Thing Called Loved. Queen deserves a spot in the Top Ten. You know this isn’t the only one of theirs that deserves to be here.

You know, sometimes there’s a song that could and should be on the list that gets saved by some bit of freakish luck. I’m thinking of Sussudio right now. Ack. What a horrible song. But it was used so effectively in American Psycho that now it is forever associated with Christian Bale in my mind and that can only be a good thing. So Sussudio is saved.

I’ll pause now, but I already have No. 11 ready for the 11 through 20 part of the list. No it’s not a cliffhanger. No. 11 is...

11. Don’t Worry Be Happy.

13 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

"Afternoon Delight" by the Starlight Vocal Band (is that the name?) Hideosity like this is why the sex pistols were invented...

speaking of horrible beatle paul-I heard a cut from his post heather mills cd - blech blech blech -some drivel about how the bells will ring when he dies and children will play on his coffin...
well, that may be true tho I think it will be more along the lines of a diana-flowers-on-the-steets-and-elton-john-re-writing-songs-to-commemorate-the-event theme

Anonymous said...

Agree with all your list, however, I will not have criticism of Paul McCartney in the Beatles - post Beatles, now thats a different thing! Remember Linda trying to play the keyboards in Wings? Yuk!

Every Billy Joel song ever recorded.....

Anonymous said...

Just as I finished the above message, they played a Bob Dylan song on the radio and I thought - yep, anything by Bob should be on that list (sorry Nanuk!).

Anonymous said...

RE your # 1: You can stab it with your steely wit, but you just can't kill that beast.

(I know that doesn't make any sense - neither does the source material).

Your # 2: I spent all of half an hour total in the car this past weekend - and in that time I heard Stairway TWICE on CHOM. The more things change...

Your # 5: Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas time - this gets extra points for breaking the laws of physics - it was long thought impossible to make such a dull record. McCartney himself then breaks that record a few years later with his MJ duets, Say, Say, Say and The Girl Is Mine.

But really - can any Paul song be worse than My Love? I think not...

And hey Ms. Edmonton - Afternoon Delight? It gets a pass for that great Simpsons moment when Homer reveals his huge Starland Vocal Band tattoo. Substiture Green-Eyed Lady instead.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I agree with the Afternoon Delight comment. It's a Sussudio situation. Saved by Homer's tattoo.

Anonymous said...

Please add:

Radio Gaga
Lady in Red
I Just Called to Say I Love You

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

okokok if homer has an afternoon delight tattoo...

yes, the lady in red and what's that other horrible thing by that deburg? spanish train???!! aaaauuuggggg (o the pain of grade 10)

Anonymous said...

Add:

- High School Confidential by Rough Trade
- Whip It - Devo


JAW - why did you have to remind me of Radio Gaga?????????

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Like Billy Joel, Queen deserves its own list.

Whip It is a good song. So there.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit I was baiting you with Whip It - but gad I hate it!!!!!

cityofmushrooms said...

"rough trade" was over rated

Anonymous said...

Hey...I Like Rough Trade!!!! I own their first two albums.

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

carol pope got on my nerves (except when she went on about her love for dusty springfield in her book because, of course, everybody loves dusty)