Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The List Continues...

11. Don't Worry Be Happy. This has a reverse-Sussudio happening, because not only does the song bug me to death, but it is forever linked in my mind with the video of supremo annoying Robin Williams jumping around like a jackass. Double whammy.
12. Muscrat Love
13. Patricia the Stripper. Once again, thanks for nothing CHOM.


One point. Twenty years ago, Spanish Train would’ve been on the list, but over the years, I’ve come to associate Spanish Train with Mr. Anonymous’s dramatic interpretation thereof. I can’t hate the song when it reminds me of him singing MY HAND WINS!!! and emoting like crazy.

14. Evil Woman. This could be controversial because I think there is an ELO fan among us. Not that I’ve ever held that against him, but still. Maybe if he’d ever emoted dramatically to this song he could’ve saved it.
15. Hot Blooded.
16. Keep On Lovin’ You. Yes, an REO Speedwagon number. Yikes. They were so lame.

At this point you might have noticed the absence of a couple of prime suspects. No Styx, no Air Supply. Why? You may ask. Because sometimes bad is good. Bad is pleasurable. Bad is a twisted treat. Others times, bad is bad, which leads to No. 17.

17. Happy to be Stuck with You. (Grinds teeth)
18. I don’t know if this was actually ever a record, but it reminds me of a Huey Lewis song, so I have to put the theme song from Cheers on the list. I’ve always hated it.
19. Footloose. I never want to hear it again. Please.
20. How Sweet It Is. Kill James Taylor and put him out of his misery.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

# 20 deserves added bad points for making it impossible to listen to the Marvin Gaye original without hearing James Taylor's cloying voice.

What - no Journey yet?

And say - stop picking on ELO! Evil Woman is rather lame, but this isn't a listen of kinda lame songs, it's a list of worst songs of all time! And I am rapidly running out of my quota for exclamation marks for one post!

cityofmushrooms said...

er, "evil woman" and that electric piano bit is stuck in my head in a rather, um, pleasant way

but I'll give you "muscrat love" tho you really need a different catagory for all cap't and tennile
(that hair! that hat!)

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I agree with Footloose.

What about...

Everybody's Working for the Weekend
Feelings
Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
Da Ya Think I'm Sexy


JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

in honour of this top 20 list-I am listening to a "bonus" "mega-mix" of boney m's: rivers of babylon/sunny/daddy cool/ma baker/rasputin"

(talk about yer twisted treats)

this could be all the boney m I need until it's time to pull out their xmas cd in about 6 months...

Anonymous said...

There lived a certain man in Russia long ago,
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow.
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear,
But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hey, you could drop the "Ras" and have the same lyrics about Putin. Interesting.

Daddy Cool? wow. Forgot about that one.

Everybody's Working for the Weekend definitely merits a spot on the list mainly because it's a CHOM staple. groan.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't bring myself to put on Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? because I don't dislike it. Almost every other song mentioned brings out shivers - that one is just "eh!" kind of reaction.

Say -what's with this dissin' of Boney M? I remember when U2 was doing the Zooropa tour with a phalanx of TV sets behind them on stage and some documentary talked about how they were being "cutting edge" and "experimental". I remember commenting to Mr. Carleton that if they wanted to be really experimental they'd do a 45-minute cover version of Daddy Cool.

To this day I still dream of Bono and pals doing this - the cover version I most want to hear (but only if it is 45 minutes long).

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Mr Carleton?

Anonymous said...

Our friend at Carleton who gave you the Dylan bootlegs last year.

cityofmushrooms said...

45 minutes of daddy cool!
I'd buy that for a dolla'

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Ah. We don't have a proper nickname for him, do we?

I'd ask JAW for a suggestion, but he'd probably come up with something like Hot Legs, so let's not go there. (Hey, that's another Rod Stewart song I hate!)

Crazy like a fool...

cityofmushrooms said...

speaking of our friend rod stewart - the husband has longed mentioned that "tonight's the night" is, in fact, about manchester united! who knew back in grade 11?
apparently everybody but me...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I didn't know this. Maybe hubbie is pulling your leg.