Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A-hoarding we will go, a-hoarding we will go

I watched HGTV's new hoarder show last night. It is not as scary as the American hoarder shows, which is a good thing because it is easier to identify with these people than with the American hoarders who are for the most part mentally ill.

The family on last night's show wasn't deranged, they just couldn't get rid of their stuff. Like me. I'm not THAT crazy, I just can't get rid of all my stuff.

But real life is more effective than t.v. for motivating me. On Monday I was over at the Tall Teacher's place to bid him adieu before he heads to the Nation's Capital. I've always considered his apartment to be very sparsely furnished (which I admired). As I entered the place, he said: "Don't judge me!!" So imagine my shock when I saw the sheer number of boxes in his small apt. "But, but", I sputtered, "you don't even own that much". How could he have all these boxes in his kitchen?

This really shook me up because I thought I'd have to multiply the boxes in his kitchen by about 1000 to estimate the amount of crap I own. And how much of it do I really need? A fraction; a small fraction.

File this under: Major Waker Upper.

9 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

Today, Miss Mushrooms wandered into my office which I was trying to, um, "de-clutter" so I could actually work in it (this is an all day job). She remarked, "Now I know where I get my hoarder tendencies."

Sadie said...

I love those hoarding shows!!

Anonymous said...

I think every problem you face should now end with you asking yourself "What would Fancy Feast do?"

Answer: Smoke a joint and don't sweat it. Then open a can of someone else's Pringles and eat them all.

Of course, this answer will probably apply to every situation...still!

My advice: have a garage sale...with the profits, buy pot! Simple.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

..oh, and every now and then...a bottle of Olive Oil.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

WWFFD?

I'm going to market bracelets with that on them.

cityofmushrooms said...

note to stalker sadie: I see our FF content on this blog is increasing--a reason to rejoice

Anonymous said...

THE INTERNATIONAL WEB ORGANIZATION OF INDIVIDUAL BLOGGERS WOULD LIKE TO OFFICIALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE NAME CHANGE TO THIS SITE.

YOUR NAME HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM A LIST OF POTENTIAL VIOLATORS SUBJECT TO FINES.

EFFECTIVELY IMMEDIATELY, YOU MAY POST AS MANY FANCY FEAST POT-SMOKING, MONEY-WEASELING, OLIVE-OIL DRIPPING TALES AS YOU WANT.

NOTE TO SADIE: LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN!

Sadie said...

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! You really know how to respond to your loyal readers, Nanuk! I love your blog updates!!!

Harry Flashman said...

Where is the "like" button? Blogspot is so Facebook unfriendly.