Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dysfunctional

Smoothie is in a panic. Next week is his parents' 40th wedding anniversary and he has to find a gift to give to his mother FROM his father.

Dad does not shop for gifts. Dad looks like Rasputin, and Dad up until yesterday had literally not left the house since June. He is a teacher and the last time he was out of the house was the last day of school. I know. It's very weird.

Anyway, so Smoothie has no clue what to get his mother. Apparently it has to be something nice because the mother apparently got a very nice gift for her husband. Mom of Smoothie is taking a trip later this year so I have so far suggested new luggage or a nice leather passport holder. Both were rejected. Then I suggested one of the digital photo frames loaded with family pictures. She got one last year; it is still in the box. Perfume? Nope, no go.

Now I have suggested that Rasputin get a shave and a haircut. If he were my husband, that would be the Bestest Gift Ever.


8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

smoothie: just send flowers!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't even finished reading the posting and (based on the fact that he looked like Rasputin) was about to propose he shave and get a haircut...then lo and behold, you proposed the same thing.

Obviously, that is the gift of choice.

If not, take her out to a nice restaurant, during which he presents her with a small, but attractive, piece of jewelry???

Somehow, I feel that Smoothie would respond with a "yeah, right, like that's gonna happen!"

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Option 2: A Boney M CD???

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

flowers AND a boney M CD!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The traditional 40th anniversary gift is ruby. So I said they should go to Ruby Foo's, but no way Dad's gonna do that. Smoothie asked Dad if he would get a shave and a haircut. I think he got a sarcastic response.

Harry Flashman said...

My father got me to buy my mother's 40th anniversary gift from him. He suggested a brooch, so I got a ruby one since the 40th is the "ruby" anniversary.
I'm sure the mother isn't expecting much, being married to such a weirdo. What's with him not leaving the house during the nicest months of the year? It is a shame how he carries on.

cityofmushrooms said...

but it's OK because he's such a lovely dear

LLJ said...

Had to chime in I vote jewelry too...married to Rasputin for 40 years? Girl needs something nice! Although maybe she doesn't like rubies? Any nice form of jewelry should do...something she can wear on the trip.