Thursday, August 04, 2011

Today's FF Dilemma

Loyal readers of the FF saga will recall that last month I advanced him some money ($435) that he was waiting to receive as a reimbursement of his pension plan contribution to Ma Bell. The contribution was expected to be in the form of a cheque and the agreement was that when he returned to Montreal he would deposit said cheque and give me my money back.

Well, the cheque arrived in the mail yesterday. The company withheld more than $60 in taxes etc. so it is for $372 only.

My question today is: when do I tell FF that I've received the money? Because we ALL know darn well that when he knows I've got the cheque he's going to want me to deposit it ASAP and he'll use it all up on pot, beer, olive oil and fresh dill.

But the cheque is of no use to me as it is made out to him, so is there a reason why I should sit on this news and not inform him? I could always tell him I've got the money and say I'm not depositing it until I see his chubby little face again, but what will that serve. I'll still be out $435 until he shows up.

Suggestions? I knew this situation would arise once the money showed up. Until he settles his account with me, I'm out $435 that I forwarded in good faith to him. Question is: how will he react? He has all the leverage here, is he smart enough to use it?

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

WWJLD?
(what would jerry lewis do)

LLJ said...

Personally I would tell him he gets the check in person only and no offense paying you back is priority one.

But I am meaner than most apparently. ; )

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Last time we spoke, he insisted that I was No. 1 on his Creditor pay-back list.

No. 1 me
No. 2 his best friend
No. 3 his mom
No. 4 his brother.

cityofmushrooms said...

can you be sure you really are "NUMBER ONE"?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL7npkSXZE

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I am not a number! I am a free creditor.

Coincidentally, last night I was in a video store (that is going out of business) with Smoothie and he started to explain to me what The Prisoner was! Ha! I stopped him in his tracks. Don't waste your breathe, I said.

cityofmushrooms said...

oh, dem youngins

Anonymous said...

tell him and cross your fingers that he'll come over to endorse it. Then he'll come over, take the cheque and want more money which you might fall for when he bats those eyelashes at you. maybe it's just worth it to cut your losses. Anything else you can hold hostage (furniture? cat? dope?)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

He left a quite a bit of stuff here but none of it has value...at least not to me.

He wouldn't leave any important pot behind.