Monday, August 10, 2009

House Hunting

I’d been feeling kinda depressed about the condition of my house lately, so I decided to go to an Open House yesterday afternoon. It was an upper unit in a 3-storey co-op right off of Sherbrooke in NDG. Nice location. And at $289,000 the price was right.

I was thinking at that price, I could sell mine (which needs work) and maybe move into something that needs less work.

Boy was I wrong.

I love my little house!

It would be great to rent that place, but own it? No thanks. $289,000 and it did not have upgraded electricity, the hardwood floors all needed refinishing and the roof was 24 years old. (Though it didn’t leak at the moment, the co-owner said optimistically.) Old windows, a couple of them cracked. And although it did have a very cute hot tub on the back deck, I counted at least four neighbours who had a clear unobstructed view of that little hot tub. Ideal for an exhibitionist. For me, not so much.

Did I mention it had a “typical” NDG bathroom. Those of you who know, know that I’m talking about THAT tile that is in every bathroom in every apartment you have ever rented if you rented in NDG. And those little octagonal bathroom floor tiles. All original. All in need of replacement.

I repeat, I love my house. Warts and all. Peeling paint and all. Unfinished stinky basement and all. I love my backyard. I love my lawn full of weeds. I am staying put.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

not to mention the agony of moving (on canada day)

Anonymous said...

the place next to us sold for less - and imagine, no lawn - pure deck. Only needs a good stain every three years which sure beats lawn care. Kitties would love it and built in kitty sitting just next door...time to move over the canal my friend. =))))

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Don't you have crazy Russian neighbours? Or are those the ones that moved?