Thursday, August 20, 2009

Election Day in A'stan

I'm reading the BBC reports on the voting in Afghanistan. In some provinces, the turnout by women is very good. Hurray for them. They are brave ladies. I know I would not head out to vote if it meant I risked being shot at. But they are out in high numbers. Better women than I.

Lots of underage voters, apparently. Kids as young as 13 with fake voter cards are getting to vote. These people LOVE democracy. Heh heh.

And the indelible ink washes off. So some people wash the purple off their fingers and go back in and vote again. They really LOVE voting. We should learn from this.

It's full of fraud, but the people seem very proud. I'm guessing Karzai will get back in. Not a great outcome, but what can you do. I think Dr. Abdullah-squared would be worse, and the 3rd candidate, who seems the best choice to me, doesn't have a chance. Kinda like the NDP.

No comments: