Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm getting flu obsessed

I've just been reading up on this nu flu on a medical website. Earlier today, I was indifferent, and even irritated by the scare mongering. Now? I think we are all screwed. Totally fucked.

The comparisons to the 1918 Spanish flu are creepy. For example, in 1918, 2.5% of all cases resulted in death. So far, in Mexico, the rate is already 6%. That's a lot.

The 1918 pandemic took the form of three waves, the first of which caused only mild disease and relatively few deaths. That sounds like today in the US. By the third wave, people were incredibly sick and dying by the hundreds.

I haven't had a flu of any kind in a long, long time, but I do remember it well enough to know, that even if I don't die, I may want to. I really hope Human Resources issues a notice that we all have to stay home for the next two or three weeks. For our own protection.

And don't cough on me, fellow public transit users!

My prediction for the biggest headline of 2009: Susan Boyle gets swine flu.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

no, it's that susan boyle gets to be the last one standing--singing her heart out--while the swine flu fells all others

Anonymous said...

Here are some special tips for you
On how not to get the swine flu:
Never use a public can
And always wash both your hands.
Don't touch handles on the bus
And stay clear of folks with eyes that pus.
Run if you hear someone "a-choo"
And refrain from manipulating poo.
Don't suck face with just anyone
Unless it's Alec...then, hey, have fun.
'Cause even if you do get sick
It'll be worth it to see his d**k
But I digress...where was I?
Oh yes...how not to ail and die.
You know what?...I really don't care
And am not wrapped up in this public scare.
Live your life and take a chance.
Now, excuse me, while I go back into Alec's pants.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

I sneezed on the metro yesterday (covered my mouth) but still got these 2 ladies looking at me in disdain. Hey it wasn't anything like how my cat sneezes - drool from one wall to the other (this is the young one so no jokes about the old skeletal freak cat).