Thursday, April 02, 2009

Hold 'em, fold 'em, etc

JAW Fan's latest poem has given me a perfect opportunity to segue to Dostoyevsky. (Let's call him FD 'cause I'm not typing that name twice.)

I'm currently reading The Gambler by FD. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I thought FD was going to be a bleak, dour Russian, but this book is a hoot. I've just finished a chapter where the eccentric, loony old Grandmother, who everyone is hoping will die because they are desperately broke and need the inheritance, has shown up at the resort and quickly proceeded to blow 15,000 roubles at the roulette table. First she won (old familiar story) and then she started losing and losing it all. By...betting on red!

So betting on red does not always double your fortune. Just ask Grandmother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be quite funny
If like in Martin Amis' "Money"
There was a scene within the prose
Where Grandma runs around without any clothes.

JAW Fan

(So far...this NaPoMo thing is a cinch)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Still traumatized by the old naked guy, eh? That character was based on Kirk Douglas. Does that make it any easier?

Anonymous said...

Young Kirk Douglas, what a dish!
Old Kirk Douglas, too much squish!

JAW fan