Monday, March 16, 2009

The Great Depression

There was an article in the Gazette on the weekend about how memberships in on-line dating sites are up a lot since the beginning of the recession.

Man cannot live on overpriced food and wine alone.

So, seeing as how I am on the cusp of the post-Kumar world, I thought I would check out one of the sites listed in the article. I registered and came to one (or maybe more than one) conclusion:

The recession has taken a toll on men’s faces. Really. If these are the best photos these guys have of themselves, times are tough indeed.

I immediately cancelled my registration. There’s gotta be a better way to go about things. Call me shallow because I have a problem with a middle-aged guy who thinks the best possible image to project of himself is one where he is wearing a trucker’s cap. Come on, guys, you can do better. No?

I fear that I am now spoiled. I don’t foresee finding another attractive man who is happy to snuggle while discussing the pros and cons of India having a permanent seat on the UN Security Council or US goals in the Afghan/Pakistan border region. (Geopolitical nerd heaven that was, let me tell you.) But no, I am in no danger of idealizing Kumar now that he is near-history. His faults, and they are myriad, are still fresh in my mind. As fresh as an overpriced six-pack of English muffins which now go for $2.59. $2.59! Can you believe it? Yep, I’m still mad about the grocery thing. And I’m out of wine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

trucker's cap = bald. no secret there.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

But bald is not a bad thing, whereas trucker's cap is. Don't they know this? Men are idiots.

Anonymous said...

My advice...pack up and move to Dubai.

You ain't ever gonna find another man who wants to talk world politics and geography whilst snuggling.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Didn't you meet Kumar through an online site? Has it been taken over by all these trucker caps? If it's a different one, I would go back to that one.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I will end up going back to that original site as overall it is a site where the men know enough not to wear trucker's caps. (Though there was one guy who posed in his Speedo, next to his car...oh god help us.)

Anonymous said...

Just keep repeating...there's someone for everyone.....