Monday, March 30, 2009

As the Kumar Turns

You didn't think he was gone for good, didja? Well, he's back.

Having given him up for dead over the past couple of weeks, I was shocked (see Claude Rains) to see the battered Kumar-mobile pull up in front of the house on Saturday.

First thing he says when walking in (in his traditional haughty huff): "Your neighbours are the nosiest people in the world!" The woman across the street, who I would rate about a 7 on the Nosey Meter (as opposed to my neighbour two doors down, whose face should be emblazoned on The Nosey Meter (patent pending)) was having a party on Saturday and most of her guests were arriving around the same time as Kumar materialized. So, as he gets out of his car, on this very quiet street, there were indeed at least 5 people at the window across the street, watching him. I explained they were probably anticipating another person at their party, and that's why. They were not staring because he is the be-all and the end-all (except in his own mind).

But then we were in my living room looking out, and well, it did look like they were also just staring across at us. It was rather odd.

Anyway, Kumar had been on a road trip for the past 2 weeks or so. He quit his job in Toronto (Yep, in a recession, he quit a decent job, idiot!). And he had been down in the USA, at various job interviews in Atlanta, Virginia and New Jersey. He had just got back (he pulled out his passport as proof that he had just now crossed the border). And I was his first stop on his return. Lucky me. Did he tell me any of this before leaving? Of couse not. He must think I am a mole and I love being in the dark.

Dubai remains unconfirmed, but is not looking promising. It appears he is self-sabotaging this one by making demands he knows they won't accept. I suppose it is easier to say that they could not come to an agreement than to admit he doesn't actually want to move there.

Conclusion: We're back at square one. He is working for his own company again, and for the first time since November, we are living in the same city. This cannot end well.

3 comments:

Susieq said...

Goodness, does this guy have any consideration for you at all? (I know, its hard to tell from this distance....). He thinks its ok to take off for 2 weeks and not tell you??? At this stage, I would have one hand poised over the dump button.......

Anonymous said...

if I were the neighbours, I'd be watching too! Will she dump him? She she invite him in? Will she throw a cat at him? Will she cook him a warm meal? will she wine him, dine him, then trash him?...party for 8 - $200, neighbour's love life, priceless.

cityofmushrooms said...

he should strip before he gets out of his car