Sunday, March 15, 2009

Allow me to complain

Today's recessionary rant: groceries. i.e. the price of food.

I've been complaining about this to anyone who'll listen lately. This may have to do with my new habit of bringing my lunch, and my continuing (near futile) diet, which has made me more price-conscious. I seem to be at IGA almost every day.

Last night, I got a car, and went to LaSalle to the IGA I like and did a big order, a stocking-up kind of thing. And it cost me $85.00. Families of four would consider this a pittance, but for a single person (and that's just human food, not cat food) this was alot. And most things I bought were on sale. $3 for a 1 kg of peanut butter was a good deal, I thought.

How can people afford food these days? No wonder they are driving their SUVs to the food bank. And cereal. Since when is a box of cereal over $4.00? Big sale on Cheerios was 2 for $7.00? Cereal on sale is SUPPOSED to be $1.99. Come on, that's the rule!

I can't figure out where my cash is going, so last night I got out a note book and wrote down every place I spent money. I admit I'm still treating myself a bit. Case in point: 4 samosas and 2 cans of curry goop at Akhavan. Total: $8.39. But I like and appreciate samosas and curry goop. What is life without goop?

Should I stop drinking wine? That would save $15 or so a week. But I like a glass a wine! I can't win.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sure you had to go to the FANCY IGA in Lasalle. I hope you didn't actually buy fresh produce there. To cut down on the basics, try Super C or Maxi and forego the loblaws or IGA. Get your fruit and veg at local fruiteries like Fruiterie Dollard (on the way to IGA!) Oh and if you really want to save money, just show up at people's homes around supper time. We all know of someone who did/does that. IT's your turn! oh, we're having lasagna tonight if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

p.s. have you tried the fruit store on Lafleur (I think it's call Sami's? where the old mourelatos used to be. super cheap (who needs publi sacs anymore?) but the guys in turbans can seem a bit scary but if you smile they'll smile back. Hey they have good nuts and asian vegetable there too for your curry goop. My 2 cents (entries) for today. And if you're in the mood for disco bowling, mercier lanes is just next door. There goes the savings. BTW the best place in town to shop is still P.A. on Fort. You can park for free if you spend more than $30.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I have to try this mysterious "P.A", What is it Produce Anonymous? thanks for the tip.
My friend at work swears by Frutta Si on your street, but she says you gotta eat the fruit quickly because it's always very ripe,... but very cheap.
I did buy produce at IGA. Tomatoes and green peppers were on sale!

Anonymous said...

I'll never get used to the idea that cereal costs more than meat.

Shouldn't it be more expensive to feed corn to cattle, slaughter them and chop them up, than to just turn corn into flakes? A mystery.

Why does steak sauce cost more than beer?

Anonymous said...

umm...$15 a week on wine...Yikes, I'm anywhere from $60 - $ 80 (granted, it's not necessarily all consumed by me alone)...groceries anywhere from $30 - $60 depending on the week(fruits and vegetables not included - which can set me back another $20 at the vegetable store)...and then the 2 or 3 free meals I score at J's during the week...which is where those extra bottles of wine come in (as I cannot go over empty-handed)...hmm, come to think of it, these free meals are costing me more in wine than if I made them myself.

JAW fan