Thursday, November 20, 2008

Is it time to panic yet?

By jove, I'm beginning to suspect that this "Stock Market business" is really getting quite serious indeed.

From NY Times: “The problem is there is absolutely no silver lining visible” .


But, but, isn't there always a silver lining? Oil dropped below $50 a barrel today. I'm almost tempted to raise the themostat and burn a bit more of it just for fun (and comfort). I'm already tired of living in an igloo and it's only November. The cats are shivering because I simply refuse to heat the house at a reasonable level. Maybe I should splurge.

In other positive developments: The weather channel is forecasting 5 to 10 cm of snow one day next week. Joy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silver lining? Petrol down from $1.55A to $1.14A a litre - I call that silver lining!!!! (provided you still have a job and can afford to buy petrol.....)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Wow. Your gas is still expensive. I think ours is in the 80-cent range per litre now. Maybe it's a dollar conversion difference. But our dollar is in the toilet, so maybe not.

Anonymous said...

I saw it at 74 cents yesterday - woohoo! Funny about the cats; I remember during the ice storm they were much more active (warming up) until it got really cold then they just snuggled together in their blanketed cat cage....ah survival stories. Now my younger cat would simply eat the old lady just for the warmth of her blood (and for the gratification of not having her around any more).

Anonymous said...

Being Mr. Current Affairs that I am...I need someone to explain how a crumbling economy personally affects me. Is there some black cloud hanging over my head that I am not aware of? Are all my bank savings, placements, and RRSPs (none of which are invested in the stock market) not worth what they are worth? Should I be picking up strange men with gold teeth, just as added security?..and why aren't the prices of CDs and DVDs dropping?

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Heh. "Placements". that is so French. If you have a pension plan, it is in the stock market for sure. But you know you won't retire from your current employer, so I guess that is not a worry.

The price of nothing is dropping, except gas. Which also doesn't affect you. You will only be in trouble when people stop eating cheese because it has become too expensive.

As for cats, I have one on my lap right now. I type around his head. He is purring, and Miss H is next to me on the couch. Ignoring me, but keeping her bum warm against me. The third cat is sitting in a box, staring at nothing. That's his specialty.

cityofmushrooms said...

"placements"?
"strange men w/gold teeth"?
what exciting lives youse all lead back east