Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thursday Crime Blotter 2

"A family in Longueuil is offering a $10,000 reward for the return of an elderly woman's head after her remains were mutilated during a funeral home break-in last summer."

I can’t get passed this story. The woman’s sister and nephew were on the news last night, and they seemed to be sane. If this had happened to us, I would still not have recovered from it.

The thief removed the dead woman’s earrings and did not take any of the money in the collection envelopes that were left in the salon of the funeral parlour. He was only after the head. What’s the motive here? Why do this? The victim’s nephew just wanted the head returned to the family and he wanted to know why. Not who did this, just why.

This lady died just a month before my mother did. Last summer, my sister and I were so stressed and busy running around, making arrangements, calling relatives, buying a cemetery plot, etc., I cannot imagine a scenario where the funeral director would have called us and told us that someone had broken into the funeral home, decapitated my mom and stolen her head. I would have had to have been committed and I’d still be in The Douglas today. Totally out of my mind.

The woman’s sister said that she realized a head could be kept in a freezer for months, and her fear was that one morning she would get up and look outside and there would be a bag on the front porch. How can you even get up in the morning, leave your house and go through your day knowing there’s some sick nut out there who stole your mother’s head. What strength and courage this family has. I would be mental. Completely out of my mind.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

truth is stranger than fiction