Monday, April 24, 2006

Them Liberals

Saw Scott Brison on Radio Canada last night. I have to get up to speed on my Liberal candidates. I hope they will be distributing trading cards soon. I’ll have to collect ‘em all.

As for Brison, the old bag in me says he’s too young and inexperienced, while the old French bag in me says: whoa, sonny, your accent is killing me.

I appreciate, really, all the efforts by all candidates from Anglo Canada to learn French. I know learning another language is very difficult, and I was impressed by Brison’s good grammar and vocabulary, but that accent will never fly in Quebec. Where are the comfortably bilingual candidates? Maybe Brison and Stephane Dion could run as a tag team, that way we would never have to be exposed to either one’s accent.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

trading cards would work for me

Anonymous said...

Is it more important that they speak French, or is it how well they speak it? Is it not appreciated that they have at least made the effort?
We're just grateful if our politicians can string 5 words of English together!!!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie, Welcome to the world of Canadian politics. What is important? To answer your question: all of the above. If politicians don't make an effort, a PUBLIC effort to show they are learning French, they are doomed, dead in the water. I think it is appreciated that they try. I know I appreciate it and I think others do too, but if I can't understand what they are saying then that bothers me. We are a tough audience.