Thursday, April 20, 2006

Onward Christian Soldiers

Last night PBS ran a show called Holy Warriors about Richard the Lionheart, Saladin and the Crusades.

“The Lionheart” is a pretty friggin’ cool nickname.

The Crusades took place in the 11th Century. Everyone wanted to get their paws on Jerusalem and (this is the tricky part) hold onto it. I think we’ve learned in the past 3 years that invasion is easy; it’s holding the darn fort that’s the problem.

We are now in the 21st Century. 2100 – 1100 = 1000 years. We’re still squabbling about this 1000 years later? One of these days I’m going to go to Jerusalem, just to see what all the fuss is about. But I’ll have to wait until it’s safe. I’m looking for a cheap flight sometime around the year 3000.

Richard the Lionheart died at the age of 42. He died of a crossbow wound. Which, I suppose, for a crusader is natural causes. I just read this description of his death:

He spotted an archer with bow in hand on the wall aiming a shot at him. It is said Richard paused to applaud the Bowman. He was struck in the shoulder with the arrow and refused treatment for his wound.” *

What a maroon.

Why applaud the Bowman? Was he being snarky? So he died because he was a show-off? What did he think he was doing? What a dumb way to die.

*http://www.templarhistory.com/richard.html

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

speaking of songs stuck in the head: we had to sing "onward xstian soldiers" every morning in grade 2 (never been the same since)

onward xstian soldiers
marching onto war
w/the cross of jesus
going on before

I hope it's stuck in your head too

Anonymous said...

I saw this last night too! I'm totally going to Jerusalem, when all terrorist threats and suicide bombings have ended. This is my snarky way of saying I'm so not going.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hi LLJ,
What did you think of the actor playing Richard? (You know I just have to ask...) He looked pretty lionhearted to me. This is exactly what he HAD to look like. I'd hate to find out Richard the Lionheart really looked like Don Knotts.

As for you Ms Mushrooms, I think you got off easy. Try saying the Rosary every day, EVERY DAY, from Grades 1 through 6. I know you think that's exotic, but really it
ain't.

cityofmushrooms said...

hail, ms nanuk, full of grace
I'll bet you skipped a days

cityofmushrooms said...

I mean skipped a FEW days
ahem