Friday, April 28, 2006

I can't believe I'm writing about lumber

Overall people seem pleased that this softwood lumber debate with the US has finally been settled. But we lost $1 billion on this deal. The NAFTA tribunal twice voted that Canada was right in this dispute, but in order to end it we gave up $1 billion. And this is victory? This doesn’t make sense to me. Sounds to me like all those years when the issue didn’t get settled, maybe the Liberals were standing up for the country, but with Harper and co. it is more important to make nice with our neighbours than to insist on receiving full payment for what the tribunal declared was rightfully ours. But what’s $1 billion between friends?

Full disclosure: I’ve never voted Liberal in my life. It’s Harper who is making me look back wistfully on the Liberals of the past. I never imagined this could happen. Yikes.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

billion $$$$$ == service charge