Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Rite of Spring

The Senators vs the Lightning in the first round.

Ottawa has had their normal strong regular season, which makes me stupidly confident that they can go far in the play-offs. Yes, I am a deluded fool.

But Tampa has Martin St. Louis, and as the Number 1 representative of Very Short People in the NHL, he commands and receives my utmost respect and admiration. So I hate to be against him. On the other hand, he is the enemy, so if he is responsible for ousting the Senators in the first round (and what a surprise that won’t be should it happen) I’ll have to curse his name and weakly shake my fist at him.

This being said, do I have to keep supporting the Senators*, knowing full well they can self-destruct in the first round and break my heart yet again? It’s the déjà vu of being an Expos fan, all over again. Why do I stay in the abusive post-season marriage? Ottawa is so good all year and then, come the play-offs, it’s pffffft lunchbag letdown. And, yet, hope springs eternal…

*Yes, I am ignoring the local team. I have to. I don’t hate the local team but I do hate their moronic fans. Therefore the local team is not on my radar.

No comments: