Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Adios Bandidos



Is it a bad thing that I don’t care about these 8 dead bikers? When I heard the story about 8 bodies being found in a small town, my initial reaction was sadness because I was thinking it was going to a domestic incident with an entire family dead. But when it turned out to be 8 biker guys, I confess I thought “no loss, good riddance”. Does this make me a terrible person? I realize these guys had wives and children and friends, but they were criminals, so am I wrong to not care about their deaths. I think I am indeed wrong. But at the same time, thinking or knowing I am wrong, doesn’t make me feel I am capable of changing my opinion.

I think George Stroumbouloupoulous (let’s call him Georgie S, shall we?) raised this issue on his show this week, but I didn’t see his take on it. I’d like to think most people, whether they admit it or not, probably think like me. Or maybe I’m just cold-hearted. Is this how simply we view the value of human life. If you are good, I’m sad for you and your family if bad things happen, but if you are bad (to quote an old acquaintance) “hope you die”. It can’t be that simple, can it?

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

"Aiiyy, Aiiyy, Aiiyy-aaaaa
I am the Frito Bandido"
now stuck in my head

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm afraid to ask where your name comes from...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Wow. I'm shocked that you guys in the US even heard about it. Look at how many murders we have to commit at one time to get noticed down there! Such pressure.

My admiration of Afghan warlords does not extend to Canadian biker gangs. Just want to clear that up. Bushy beards notwithstanding...