Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Back to the ole drawing board

I've officially given up on the London job. Tomorrow will mark 5 weeks since I wrote the test, and I got nuthin' from them. I have to assume the people who are short-listed for an interview have been contacted by now. And everyone else, i.e. yours truly, is an also-ran. harumph. I knew the test was a c***sucker, but I still held out that little glimmer of hope. The light has gone out now. pffft. extinguished.

Onward. I completed my application for another job. This is not for one specific job, but to be on the roster of our Big Brothers down in NYC. This is a roster of jobs in the writing, editing, and/or reporting field. You get called either to HQ or to some place in the field.

I don't really want a job through these channels, I just want to write the exam to get more exam-writing practice. The test lasts a whole day, and then there's an interview. Again, only if you are successful on the test do you get an interview. Who knows what comes of this.

Problem with being on a roster is you basically have to take whatever position comes open. You have one chance to turn down an assignment. If you turn down a second offer, you are ziiiip off the roster. And there are very few places where our Big Brothers have offices that I'd be interested in moving to. i.e. NYC, Wash, D.C., Paris, and of course, Roma.

But Geneva? There's lots o'jobs in Geneva. yawn. I'd rather shoot myself than move to Geneva. Bor-ing town. Nairobi? I'd rather shoot myself in Geneva than go to Nairobi. So basically it's NYC or bust. Bangkok? Verrry nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'm sick of my current employer. It's so corrupt. How corrupt is it? you may ask. Here's last week's example: Our head of HR is engaged to be married as soon as his divorce becomes final. His intended is a woman in a technical support job that is graded one level below mine. On the same day we hear about the engagement, we learn that The Intended has been promoted to an analyst job three grades higher than mine. What an amazing coincidence. I can't stand these jerks anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go NYC...at least that way, more friends are likely to come visit you on a more regular basis.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

c***suckers! Inequity exists everywhere though. At least at a new place you won't find out about it as quickly for the first few years....