Wednesday, September 21, 2011

RIP REM

REM have broken up. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was a huge fan over the first 5 or 6 records, but I haven't been excited about them for years.

(Aside: As Mr. Anon and I discussed a few weeks ago, at our age, are we truly ever excited about anything in music, books, concerts, etc., anymore? Answer: No.)

Anyway, I saw REM for the first time in Washington D.C. at the DAR Constitutional Hall. It was great. I loved them. And I loved them for a long time.

Not to sound too much like old crank, but after Bill Berry left, I was not much into them anymore even though I continued to buy their records. Then they got really big....and....meh...they were just another big band.

Oh well. I enjoyed them and appreciated them, and there are some songs, many songs, I will always like. Thanks, you guys!

10 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I too sort of considered them broken up when that guy (bill? OK, bill) went off to be a farmer or whatever--but also loved first few records etc and because I'm also old (as is my car), I listen to them on my casette player as I drive around the town

Anonymous said...

CoM - you still have a cassette player in your car? The kids must be so amused.

Now maybe Michael Stipe can record a proper version of BRANDY and we can all retire happily.

cityofmushrooms said...

everything I do, own, think, propose, and listen to is totally uncool

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Brandy, you're a fine girl.
What a good wife you would be.
But my life, my love and my lady
is the sea.
toot toodoo doo doo

Now it is in everybody's head! :)

Anonymous said...

"In everybody's head"...You say that like it's a bad thing.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

Tis indeed poetry:

Brandy
wears a braided chain.
Made of finest silver - from the North of Spain.
A locket.
That bears the name - of the man...
...that Brandy.....
...loves.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm not complaining. It's a fantastic song. I have it on my ipod.

cityofmushrooms said...

it's a good song to have in the head, no doubt

and REM covered this song??
(where have I been..?)

Anonymous said...

There's an REM documentary (can't remember what it's called) and there is a scene where Micheal Stipe is in a car leaving or going to a concert and he sings a verse of it. He puts a lot into it; I'm not sure if they ever played it but I wouldn't be surprised.

Anonymous said...

Well, it isn't on youtube, but the original is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7FWnbAaCI

Why does the singer look so much like Alice Cooper?