Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life is frustrating

Why do people who do service calls, i.e. cable or in my case this morning, furnace cleaning, assume that the customer has nothing to do with her life than sit around and wait for them?

I had made an appointment for the furnace guy to come between 8:30 and 9:00. Even if he arrived at 9:00, he would be done by 9:30 and I could be at work by 10:30. Which is the time I had given my boss as my late arrival today.

At 9:40, no technician, I called the company and cancelled. At 9:44 when I had my jacket on and my house key in my hand, the truck pulls up. The funace guy explains that he had 3 emergency calls this morning where people's furnaces did not start and those calls get priority of cleaning calls. Goody for them.

I said: you're too late. I have to go to work. He repeated that it was September and furnaces are being started up for the first time, and he had to do 3 of them this morning. Whoopee, I thought. I repeated: well, it's too late. I have a boss who is waiting for me.

I mean. Really.

3 comments:

Brian Busby said...

People whose furnaces don't start get priority! It's mid-September, for goodness sake! Buck up, put on a sweater and wait.

And, hey, with cell phones thick on the ground, how about a courteous call to say you'll be late.

Thus ends the venting (pun intended).

Susieq said...

The company needs to improve its customer service such a lot - why couldn't they tell you about the emergency calls when you rang? And as with the above, how about a call from a mobile (cell) phone to say they are running late.
Sadly this happens here too with some companies failing, still, to understand that these days, women do work and we do not have all day to sit around waiting for some tradie (thats what we calls plumbers etc here) to turn up?

Anonymous said...

guess which repair man's going to be spitting in whose tank...