Thursday, September 30, 2010

In Real Estate News

Last Sunday I went to an Open House around the corner from my place. It was a lower duplex which included a separate basement apartment for rental income. As it was renovated, and not grungy and yucky like my place, I immediately fell in luv. Asking price: $429,000. For a lower duplex!! C'est unbelievable.

I told the agent if I could clear $300,000 for my current place, I would think about this lovely lower. He said "if you want $300,000 I can sell your place this afternoon". Which got me to thinking. I'd love to dump my shack, but I don't want to pay over $400,000 for anything.

I've spent more than a few hours looking at listings, and you know what you can get in Montreal in the $350-360 range? My current crappy house. Seriously. There are 4 rundown babies like mine currently listed and they range from $350 to $399. The market remains insanely overpriced.

$360 can get me a pretty funky place in Lasalle, but that means buying a car because the location is not great. Do I want a car? Not at this point.

The real estate agent has called me twice so far this week. he has two potential buyers for my house, i.e. my house that is not even on the market. Location really is everything. I called him back and said "I'd love to sell but there's nowhere to move to" so I guess I'm out of the market for now.

But that lower duplex around the corner is still calling to me...and my potential tenant is out there. Fancy Feast has already asked if he can move in with me to save on rent. Heh. Maybe not.

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

your beautiful house ain't no shack!! I'm still dreaming of those gorgeous hardwood floors!!!
-and do you really think fancy feast would stay in the basement???

Anonymous said...

be careful what you wish for. Do you really want a tennant? If anything go for a co-op duplex - owners take better care of their places and are less trouble.

Also why would you need a car in Lasalle? Alot of people don't have - great bus system, metro nearby and a huge community revitalization project was just approved to get you places faster. Lasalle rocks! and you can't beat the low taxes. We're at work in 30 minutes or you can bike it in the same (well okay don't repond to that because profanity is unacceptable here). don't be lured by the tennant thing though! fix up your nice place - it'll cost you less. I know a good floor/carpet guy!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The places I looked at (on-line) in Lasalle were near the Mercier and had only one bus nearby. It would be over an hour to get to work. Although maybe the train would be possible...but still on weekends, I don't think I could walk to anything nearby.
There was another one near the hospital on Champlain that looked good, and it had a pool.

Anonymous said...

ooh, get that one. it has a good bus line and it's near groceries and hot male nurses.

cityofmushrooms said...

hot male nurses?!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

If I get a place in Lasalle with a pool, I'll have little Anonymi (and their parents) at my place every weekend in the summer, and that will leave precious little time for hot male nurses.

cityofmushrooms said...

there's always hot week nights

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You think of everything!