Monday, September 20, 2010

Life in the Big City

I went to the Holy City over the weekend. I visited my niece's new apartment which is incredibly downtown. This is the kind of location that one dreams of in one's 20s and is horrified by in one's late 40s.

She is across the street from the Harbourfront (i.e. tourists!) and in 10 minutes you can walk to the Air Canada Centre where the Leafs are about to embark on another hapless, losing season. The amazing thing about Toronto is that the Sports section of the paper is all Leafs...as if they had a hope in hell of achieving something. Which they never do. And yet it's all Leafs.

The apt is also about 15 minutes walk from the CN Tower, skydome, etc. etc., i.e. everything.

Coolest thing is, we walked to the new theatre (I forget the name) that opened for the Toronto Film Festival. It is a super artsy complexe, like ExCentris here, and I saw a real live Oscar. I'd never seen one before. It was in a glass case in the lobby. It was the Foreign Language Oscar for Barbarian Invasions. Neat. My sis and I gazed upon it, while my niece could not care less.

Upstairs there were some film clips put together by Atom Egoyan and they were projected on bedsheets. My niece didn't know who he was. I said, of course, you do and was about to name his movies when she interrupted me, saying "You know I don't watch any intelligent movies!" End of Egoyan conversation. *sigh*

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

all those readings at harbourfront!!! lucky niece--

Anonymous said...

hang on, gotta google egoyan.

Brian Busby said...

...and Barbarian Invasions.

(I kid. Of course I know the film. I mean, it stars Mitsou!)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

"stars" Mitsou.

Yep, she was the star. If by "star" you mean had a minor role.

Brian Busby said...

You mean there were other actors? Didn't notice.

Ahhh, Mitsou... be still my beating heart.