Monday, November 01, 2010

A Wrench in my Master Plan

Loyal readers will remember that I have a Master Plan to take over my boss's job upon her retirement.

During my absence last week there were 2 URGENT meetings about the restructuring of our bureau. Turns out that while my boss currently supervises 6 people, as of January she will supervise 17 people. 17! And they will be working in 6 different languages. And no talk of an upgrade for her job.

Do I still want to go there? Or should I be content to be one of the 17?

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

more minions to boss--

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Glenview, Illinois. It is 4:00 here and have been in a meeting since 8:00...and I still have 2 hours to go...and then 2 more days to go...

Business travel ain't a glorious life. I thought people in the 70s had flings and extra marital affairs during business trips. I'm too exhausted to even hoist my own petard, let alone do the dirty!!!

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Glenview, Illinois ain't Rio (the location of my only business trip of my life). I guess the possibility of seeing men in Speedos on the beach at Glenview is nil, thus making this a dull trip for our JAW Fan. Let us hope some new chip flavour is being test-marketed in Illinois this week.

Susieq said...

Nanuk, your boss sounds like a really good empire builder, except for the fact that she has failed to get a payrise for herself. However, I can predict what will happen - in a few months, she will have her job 're-classified' due to all the extra responsibility. After that happens, you can start plotting again.